How to Use Coconut Oil to Treat Eczema.
Have you tried coconut oil to treat your eczema?
If you’ve heard health food magazines and naturopaths touting the healing benefits of coconut oil, it’s for good reason. Much like our recent article on Apple Cider Vinegar Baths for Eczema, coconut oil is an excellent natural remedy that can help to treat and soothe eczema.
With many antibacterial, antimicrobial, and anti-fungal properties, coconut oil is a very special substance. Interestingly, coconut oil contains lauric acid that’s also found in breast milk. When the body processes the lauric acid, it converts it into monolaurin, a compound that helps to protect us against bacteria, fungus, and viruses.
Coconut oil helps to reduce inflammation and itching, in part from its antioxidant qualities, and also from the caprylic acid, capric acid, and vitamin E and K. The medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) and medium–chain triglycerides (GCT) help to reestablish the outer, protective layers of the skin and helps to moisten and nourish it. Coconut oil also provides strong immune system support.
How to benefit from Coconut Oil?
- Apply the coconut oil as a salve to eczema. It’s especially wonderful on hands.
- You can apply the oil at night, before going to sleep, and up to 3 times during the day.
- Topical use on eczema is also an effective way to soothe and heal eczema scars.
- Apply eczema clothing over coconut oil to keep stop the itch and maximize treatment. Visit www.adrescuewear.com for eczema clothing.
Coconut Oil Bath
- You can also melt 2-4 tbsp. of coconut oil by warming it and adding it to warm bath water to moisten and nourish the skin. Pat skin dry after bath and dress in eczema clothing or 100% cotton clothing.
- Take 2-4 tablespoons of coconut oil daily. Eat it directly, or add it to smoothies and beverages. You can also use it in your cooking.
For infants, you can massage extra virgin coconut oil gently into affected areas of the skin and leave it on for a few hours before rinsing with warm water. Adding the coconut oil to the bathwater for an infant is also very effective.
Coconut oil has a deeply penetrating affect on the skin. Its intense moisturizing protects us from the effects of the environment like dry air and allergens, while also soothing the skin. Try coconut oil as a natural remedy and start soothing your eczema today.