The weather is warming up...finally! But as the weather changes, we are more likely to find ourselves under the weather with a cold. Protect yourself and your family naturally by using these helpful and effective tips!
1. Focus on Nutrients: As tempting as comfort foods can be while we’re not feeling good, some don’t give our body the nutrients they desperately need to get better. When we’re feeling our worst, that’s when our bodies need us the most!
- Chicken Soup: An excellent way to get calories, liquids, vitamins, and minerals back into your body. It can also be an effective way to clear mucus as it is a natural decongestant. Be sure to include chicken and plenty of vegetables in your next batch!
- Garlic: In a study conducted by the National Institute of Health, patients who took garlic spent 70% less time being sick than those who did not. Garlic has been used for hundreds of years as a natural cold and flu remedy. It can help prevent sickness as well as reduce your time feeling under the weather. To use, include in chicken soup or used crushed (minced) garlic on a small piece of bread and top with some olive oil, salt, and pepper and enjoy!
- Coconut Water: Hydration, hydration, hydration! The words we hear over and over when we are sick, and for good reason. When you have a fever, moisture is drawn out from your body, and medicine can also be dehydrating. Fluids can flush out toxins and loosen mucus. Coconut water is a perfect drink to sip while sick, it contains glucose and electrolytes without the added sugars.
2. Rest: Our bodies need to shut down and stop working so hard so that it can focus on healing and fighting the infection. The only way to do this is to get a good night’s sleep or afternoon nap. If falling asleep is difficult, try dripping a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pillow, feet, and even around your nose area 15 minutes prior to going to bed. Additionally, sip on caffeine-free herbal tea before bed too. You could even add honey for extra soothing benefits.
3. Hot Lemon Water: Hot lemon water has so many health benefits and best of all, it’s the easiest drink to prepare. Lemons have high anti-inflammatory properties and high levels of Vitamin C, both necessary things to fight a cold. Also, hot lemon water promotes healthy digestion, weight loss, and increased metabolism! It’s a win-win! Squeeze ¼ lemon into 8oz of hot water and start enjoying all the benefits.
4. Sauna/Steam Room or a Hot Shower: Hot steam and temperatures can open airways and increases blood flow, plus if you are fighting a cold during winter months it’s a great way to warm up. If you do not have access to a sauna, turn your shower on hot and add a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil and take your normal shower. This can clear those airways very well too!
5. Avoid Blue Light from Phone and Computer: As nice as it is to scroll through your phone while you are “resting”, try to avoid it. The blue light prohibits the release of melatonin to the brain. Melatonin basically tells your brain when it’s time to go to bed or when it’s time to wake up, so without it our sleep cycle gets confused. But there is good news! Our phones let us reduce the blue light in settings.
If you have an iPhone go to Settings-->Display & Brightness-->Night Shift and adjust your hours according to your schedule.You can also purchase in blue light blocking glasses with or without a magnification on Amazon for your time sitting at a computer.