Dust Mites Cause Extreme Eczema Flares
A recent study reported in Science Translational Medicine discovered that individuals with eczema especially ones that have a filaggrin defect can react to dust mites in an extreme way. It also found that individuals with healthy skin do not.
This study found that individuals suffering from eczema have a reaction to the dust mite eating the human skin and the byproducts of that process. The immune system reacts and causes intense itching and pain. I know that sounds disgusting but if you have eczema, knowledge is power. You need to remove dust from your bedroom to get a good nights sleep!
It's Easy to Prevent Eczema Flares from Dust Mites.
Here are seven tips for a dust free home for you and your child with eczema.
1. Purchase a vacuum with a HEPA filter and use it regularly.
2. Use swiffers to clean and dust (they collect dirt not spread
3. Change your furnace filter regularly and use allergy
4. Use sheets designed for the eczema sufferer. Eczema sheets can be found here. Wash sheets weekly in hot water. Consider using mattress encasements.
5. Does your child have eczema? Wash their stuffed animals in hot water regularly, especially their favorite ones and the ones they sleep with.
6. Use blinds not drapes in the bedroom.